A sense of misdirection, or divine providence? For Goldsmith College, London University, Open Book Programme Characterisation homework for Playwriting, Tuesday 4/17/9/2024/7533 Based on the theme of “You attend an event, party or meeting, only to become aware, at some point, that you are in the wrong place, or are you?”
Memory Stick reference: 12
Goldsmith College, London University, Open Book Programme Characterisation homework for Playwriting, Tuesday 4/17/9/2024/7533
Based on the theme of “You attend an event, party or meeting, only to become aware, at some point, that you are in the wrong place, or are you?”
A sense of misdirection, or divine providence?
Scene: Somewhere in the anonymous urban sprawl of the centre of a big city.
Deirdre Doodle had had a bad sense of direction, for as long as she could remember. She had recently found out that she had fallen on her head as a baby. Maybe that had something to do with it.
Still, she just wanted to get on with her life for now, as she wasn´t yet ready to process all of the potential implications of this.
Deirdre had always loved the Women´s Institute, and today was the day of their national conference at the sprawling New Excel Centre. So, she got the train, getting off at Blythe Road. There were, thankfully, signs everywhere to the Centre.
However, when she entered the New Excel itself, she was faced with what she found to be a vast rabbit warren with no obvious sign of the conference.
Scene 2: Ground floor in the Excel
Deirdre: “Ηow do I get to the Women´s Institute meeting?”
Aisla (who works at Excel): “You go one flight up the stairs, and it´s the first Exhibition Hall on your left.”
Deirdre: “Thanks”
Scene 3: First Floor in the Excel
Deirdre turns right, rather than left, not realising she has done so. She enters the Exhibition Hall:
“Women´s Institute” she enquires.
Dorcas replies: “No, Woman´s Dyslexia Association”.
Deirdre: “Oh, really! I sometimes read quite slowly and struggle with bright white backgrounds. I also have problems remembering where I put things, and remembering directions, especially the first time I go somewhere. I meant to turn left. Do you think I might have a type of dyslexia?”
Dorcas: “You turned right, not left, this time. But, maybe you made the right turning, in more senses than one. What you´re describing is common amongst dyslexics. Especially those with subtler forms, who might even be, contrary to the stereotype, world champion spellers, sometimes. The exhibition´s free. You´re welcome to explore.”
Deirdre: “Thanks! I´ll do that.” She headed off exploring.
Scene 4: Same locations.
Aisla is on her lunch break. She decides that she´d like to pop into the Women´s Institute Conference. Like Groundhog day, the previous conversation repeats itself, mutatis mutandis (“with the necessary changes”).
Aisla turns right, rather than left, not realising she has done so. She enters the Exhibition Hall:
“Women´s Institute” she enquires.
Dorcas replies: “No, Woman´s Dyslexia Association”.
Aisla: “Oh, really! I sometimes read quite slowly and struggle with bright white backgrounds. I also have problems remembering where I put things, and remembering directions, especially the first time I go somewhere. I meant to turn left. Do you think I might have a type of dyslexia?”
Dorcas: “You turned right, not left, this time. But, maybe you made the right turning, in more senses than one. What you´re describing is common amongst dyslexics. Especially those with subtler forms, who might even be, contrary to the stereotype, world champion spellers, sometimes. The exhibition´s free. You´re welcome to explore.”
Aisla: “Thanks! I´ll do that.” She headed off exploring.
Aisla then spots Deirdre, recognising her face from before: “I thought you were going to the Women´s Institute”.
Deirdre: “I was, but muddled my left and right, and then realised this was where I needed to go first.”
Aisla: “Snap”.
Comentários
Enviar um comentário